meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="5; url=www.joeandsarabeth.com" The World According to Joe: Greetings!

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Greetings!

Do you know about the people that record a voice mail greeting over and over and over again until they get it right? I am one of those people and this is my story. I recorded my voice mail greeting on this Monday. It was the day where everybody called off because it was the day between July 4 and the weekend. So I sat alone in my cube with not a sound on the entire floor with the exception of my Mr. Coffee 4 cup pot.

It was now I decided would be a good time to record my greeting, because I could do it over as many times as I wanted without being embarrassed. Herein lies the problem, my brain doesn't function at 100% before I have coffee in the morning. So I picked up the phone with confidence and slumbery gusto preparing in my mind what I was to say to all the callers who wish to talk to the ever important intern Joe. I recorded the message, then listened to it. It had cut off the first 3 seconds of my message, so it didn't sound very professional. It proceeded to cut off every one of my messages making them all sound very stupid. After the 15th try I hung up the phone and said whatever.

It was today that I discovered my blunder. I received a voice mail and called the lady back, and when she answered she told me how my voice mail message was...askew. Apparently what was going on while I was recording the voice mail greeting before was that I was appending to the previous message, instead of deleting it completely like I thought I was. I immediately listened to my own voice mail greeting in horror as I heard the following:

"Hi you've reached the desk of Joseph Clarke please lmeave me ah....crap.[Beep] Hi you've reached the Desk of Joseph Clarke, please leave me a message after the tone. Right, and if there's no tone? [BEEP] Hi you've reached the desk of Joseph clarke if you would like to leave me a messagenoo, they already know they're leaving a message you dumm-[Beep] Hi this is Joe Clarke's voicemail, please leave a message after the answering....(sigh)...[BEEP] Hi this is Joe Clarke, please do leave a message...that's retarded [BEEP] Hi this is Joee....Hi...delaying still? Hmmm we'll see [BEEP] Hi..Hi..This is Joe Clarke, please leave me a message and I'll get back to you..[CLICK]"

Just awful. But don't take my word for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahhahhahhahahahha. That's my nightmare.
luke told me about this yesterday, and I was so good not to leave 10 voicemails on your phone. hi joe, oh crap no. hello joe? luke, I'm on the phone... etc.
I wish you'd been able to tape it somehow? i'm still laughing, with you and at you.

Anonymous said...

hilarious!
-Paul

Anonymous said...

oh man! that stinks! i have many similar stories, one that hopefully someone explained to you. Remember the message i left you about the free table? I was practically screaming because i was distracted by billy and everyone else in the room making fun of me and how i leave a message. That is really funny, though. Don't you wonder if God allows things like that to happen so that other people can laugh and you can have a great story to tell?! I think it happens a lot. At least that makes me feel better, that at least someone is laughing and enjoying my embarrassment. Hopefully that helps. :) -Julie