meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="5; url=www.joeandsarabeth.com" The World According to Joe: The Car Wreck

Friday, March 04, 2005

The Car Wreck

Today was the day that I witness first hand a man at the very bottom of his life. This blog will tell the story.



11:59 P.M.

School let out today, and I hadn’t been feeling too good. Right from French class I went back to my room where I prepared for my departure. My dad was coming to pick me up and take me straight to work. I’ve been on break for 5 minutes and it’s time to work. Hilarious. I was NOT, feeling good at all. My head was throbbing, and I mean, I’ve felt bad a couple times, but never been really sick. I was feeling it. I had skipped class for wayyy less than I was feeling that friday afternoon. Once I got to work, my task assigned to me was run some parts to customers in various locations of Ohio. I got to drive my Father’s Taurus, which is a nice car. I do enjoy the v6. The journey then took me to Canton, where the excitement of delivery led me to “Hilscher-Clark” electronics. It was approximately 10 minutes after I had left from there that it happened.



3:39 P.M.



I was driving along feeling dazed, I had been driving for about 2 hours. It’s a big drive from Cleveland to canton, even before the drive back, not to mention when sickness is your only company.

I saw a car turning left across the street and then I heard it. Breaking glass, the heavy slam of metal on metal. I slammed on my brakes and tried to take in what happened.

A silver Honda had turned left across traffic without considering that other cars might be driving heading the other direction. There was no squeal of brakes except for my own. He had turned directly in front of a Buick which was traveling approximately 40 m.p.h., whose had hood compacted into and demolished the passenger side of the Honda. I immediately pulled into a nearby parking lot and sprinted towards the scene, my phone already dialing 911. There were 2 women in the Buick and they weren’t moving. It’s very difficult to describe the emotion explaining that there was an accident to the 911 dispatcher, while trying to evaluate how bad the situation really is and talk to the guy on the ground.



The guy who had been driving the Honda was laying on the ground outside of the car. He was bleeding from a cut above his left eyebrow and moaning. 2 guys had run over from their car wash job, checked to make sure that the women’s car was off, because there was some liquid in mass quantity pouring out of the engine. The boy’s reaction almost startled me, as he saw me on the phone, “Whad you doing? Whad you doing dog? Who you calling?”, he said in a defensive stupor. “Relax man, you’ve just been in a serious car accident, just lay your head down man, the ambulence is on the way”, was my reply. “I’m fine yo”, he said while rising to his feet and walking around.



The 2 guys who had came from the car wash were working with me on keeping the guy calm, because he was starting to get worked up. “I’m going to jail! FUCK! FUCK!”. He punched an unbroken window of his mutilated car, extremely hard. That was when it hit me, his logic was completely off. His speech was slurred. He was having trouble walking. He had been drinking. “Fuck man look I’m drunk, I’m all fucked up, I can’t even get my pants on, I’m fucked man, drunk as fuck, aaaaAHHHHH I’m going to jail! FUCK FUCK FUCK!” All this he said while again slamming his fist into the window of his car. “Naw naw this is YOUR fault”, he said as he walked up towards the window of the car he had just swerved in front of. “Look at my car! Mines totaled, yours isn’t that bad at all”. “I gotta get outta here man, the cops are gonna take me away, I gotta run. I’m already going to jail!” The 2 guys from the car wash immediately toned up their voices, “No man, it’s not an option. If you run, they will come for you and they will hunt you down.”

It was at this point he broke. He stooped down on the sidewalk and put his face in his hands. He began to weep. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it.” This was the bottom of his life. What do you say to someone who genuinely wishes that they were never born? For the next fifteen minutes he told every single EMT the same thing. Through the tears he cried, “ohh God I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” We kept trying to talk him down, telling him that he’s young, telling him that he could turn his life around, that it’s not over, that no one died. That was when he wished that he was never born. “Oh god I don’t have insurance”.

They bandaged everyone up, neck braces and ambulences for all, but it seemed that they would all be ok physically. They were all taken to the hospitals.

I made a statement to the cop, telling him basically everything here, minus the emotion.

The scariest part of the accident is that if the Buick hadn’t been in front of me, I might have had the hood of his Honda through my driver side door. To anyone who has ever driven under the influence, wise up. It can ruin your life, it sure put a scar on Rodan's.

No comments: