meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="5; url=www.joeandsarabeth.com" The World According to Joe: Obtaining Ranks

Monday, October 10, 2005

Obtaining Ranks


Fall Retreat was absolutely awesome people. The worship and fellowship was just incredible. Not only that but getting away was just what I needed; to have some time to myself that I could escape and get alone with God in the wilderness (Camp Carl is definitely in the middle of nowhere, so that part was covered head to toe).

So bored were we at about 1am that we climbed into the rafters of Camp Carl’s dining facility. As most of you know, there are major benefits of rising through societies’ age ranks, such as the ability to drive and make decisions independent from the consultation of the parentals. Some not so intelligent abilities are to drink yourself retarded or smoke. However it is these years of life that define the difference between youth camps and college students with an empty weekend. You see, when you gain age people trust you not to do the stuff you’re not supposed to be doing, which therefore opens the grand window of opportunity to do exactly that.

One thing I’ll take with me forever is the memory of the incredible catch. Picture this: The weather was cold, wet, dark and worst of all the grass was impossibly slippery. And yet the Ultimate Frisbee enthusiasts were outfitted and ready to engage in battle despite the dismal playing conditions. None of us had foreseen the need for cleats, and even if we had brought them we probably would have done without due to the number of people playing barefoot. I will never be on the same team as Adam Anderson, (a leader on the Campus Crusade staff, and no he wasn’t posing in this picture, I took it without warning) because he is too good. I will never become a better player by being on his team. His arsenal of throws (apart from seeming never-ending in quantity) has unmatched accuracy. I swear he could hit someone in the chest from the other end of a football field. So the pitch was extremely far into the end zone, way beyond anyone’s reach. It was the line drive of tosses and seemed to float for eternity. From the second it was in the air, Adam was on his horse. I’ve never seen a catch so far into the end zone. When the Frisbee was about 2 feet from the ground and had been in the air about 15 seconds (which is a long time for a Frisbee), Adam’s body became parallel to the slippery ground on which he was previously flying down, dove headfirst at the disc and after about a 10 foot slide came up with it. Needless to say the outcries ranged from, “We are witnessing greatness here people”, to “This guy needs to get inside more”, to “Go home Adam”. Most of the negative (jokingly negative mind you) happened to escape my mouth because he wasn’t on my team and any of you that know me understand that my passion for winning is almost a strong as my passion for not losing.

No matter how upset I get for getting beat, I am always gracious. (waiting for laughter) But fear not, the day got better when the rain forced us to stay inside. It might sound bad but Phil the incredible sound man turns out to have more coordination than any of us thought, in that he was a professional swing dance instructor for 10 years. How do you like that?? He taught us a couple turns and let us loose. Not being one to brag but Sarabeth and I definitely tore it up and had fun doing it.

How was my weekend everyone asks? In a word: awesome. Looking forward I can only assume that next year will be even better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so this is weird, I've never seen one of these before